Notes from a Freshman: Liza Dawley

So this was my first year on as a Stolaf Nordie, and all I can say is that it exceeded my expectations in so many ways. About this time last year I had only just decided to attend St. Olaf and was still unsure about whether or not I wanted to continue skiing 'nordically' in college. I started skiing somewhat spontaneously with my High School as a freshman back home in Acton, MA, and picked up the sport relatively quickly. I had a total blast that first year, and started to get an understanding for what the nordic community was like. I was on my school team all four years, and skied with a fantastic club, CSU, in the summer for three years as well. However, following an injury at the beginning of my season junior year, and a somewhat disappointing season senior year I wasn't sure if skiing in college was the right choice.

It was. 

After my first week at St. Olaf, and training with the team, I knew I'd made the right choice. Although training was very different in Minnesota than it was in Mass (particularly the long, relatively flat, and shadeless roads), the team was extremely friendly, and super fun. I was intimidated, for sure - these were college athletes, and I felt more like a high school skier way out of her league than a college student at that point, but that didn't last too long. I bonded with Mikki pretty quickly, as we were about the same pace and could train together. As dry land season ramped up and we got closer and closer to race season, I was pretty excited. I got to go on a fantastic Thanksgiving break trip with the team, and between the long van rides, the fantastic skiing, and my first Thanksgiving away from home, the team took on the role of my family, if it hadn't already. And the rest of the season only helped prove that to be true. 

I won't go through each and every race, but I will say that skiing this year affirmed two things. First, that making the decision to come to Olaf and to join the teams was a fantastic decision. I have a base, a family, in the team, and skiing offers a fantastic break in my day, a way I can work out some steam and focus on my work. But second, is that the nordic community is made up of some of the best people I know. My teammates, the captains, Tom, the fellow racers, everyone, they are all such fantastic people and I am so happy I decided to continue taking part in that. 

I know this all sounds super cheesy and happy-go-lucky, but looking back on the season, this is what stands out. Not the freezing temperatures, the frozen fingers and toes, not the not-so-great races or the sprained thumb, but the joy of being part of a team, of something special, of cheering on my friends, seeing them succeed and achieve goals of all kinds, and of having their support and friendship off the trails and out of our boots, as well as during our skis.

- Liza
Skiing at Yellowstone

Racing at a SuperTour in the Twin Cities
Me, Josephine, and Mikki
Me, Mikki, and Shelby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USCSA's aka The Bend Blizzard

Wrapping Up CCSA

Meet the 2016-2017 Team!